Saturday, November 14, 2009

BREATHE

I feel as though I was drowning and didn't realize it until I received a breath of air. For two weeks, I was underwater with a new job that took up almost all of my waking life. I pushed hard for this job, sacrificed many things to make sure it was done right, only to suffer a lay-off yesterday. An immediate lay-off, even. Not even time to collect my coat and say my goodbyes.

Part of me feels relief, as I do every time a job ends. Oh, and have jobs ended for me! I have been dubbed "the cooler" by my funny-sometimes-smartass husband because several companies have closed while I was working for them. Three, in fact. Three companies have gone under while I was in their employ. We've discussed the many possibilities of me taking on larger corporations, such as Wal-Mart, Starbucks, or McDonald's, to see if I might single-handedly bring back small-town America.

What it all boils down to, though, is that I am just not made for corporate America. And it certainly doesn't like me, either. I was a silly little school girl, training to be an opera singer, and never planned for a back-up career. I don't know if there are lessons on how to survive in corporate environments; if there are, I would have skipped them anyway. Damn the man, and all that stuff.

Sometimes, though, I can't help but wish that I had that particular bone in my body. Whatever the "can survive corporate environment without plucking out eyeballs" bone is called, I don't have it. I never will. For my own sanity, I should probably stop trying to force the issue. Whatever company I would have worked for should thank me. They'll live to see another day.

Always,
Jen

2 comments:

  1. Jen, don't worry, you are destined for much greater things that don't include corporate America! I'm sure it's the reason you are with an Independent publisher and not one of those 'corporate big houses'...all things happen for a reason and you will sell lots of books and look back on this and wonder why you questioned things!!! You're Awesome, even if you close down companies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought about setting up a consulting firm where big corporations could hire me to infiltrate their competitors and take them down just by being employed there. Doesn't take long...sometimes just a matter of weeks...

    ReplyDelete